A smart grid is a transactive grid.
- Lynne Kiesling
Archive for November, 2009

Smart Grids and Consumers: Messages From The Edge

Courtesy of The Energy Collective, two posts on smart grids and the consumer.  First, a look at the segmentation of consumers in smart grids and concludes that fully 90% of small consumers (residential and small retail) are not interested in participating in smart grid technologies (the other 10% divide into groups interested in saving the […]

Read more »



Smart Grids, Smart Meters, and Consumers

Courtesy of The Energy Collective, an interesting article on the position of consumers in the smart grid / smart meters roll out.  We are in agreement with the author’s view on smart meters and their relative lack of utility (dare we say…), but we disagree with his overall somewhat pessimistic view on the primacy of […]

Read more »



Industry’s Error In Positioning Smart Meters

Via Tyler Hamilton’s Clean Break blog, some insightful comments on industry’s “marketing” of smart meters and how utilities may have erred in positioning meters as consumer friendly nodes of action instead of important – but decidely unsexy – infrastructure investments.  As we have discussed here, smart meters and smart grids without smart markets are a […]

Read more »


  | 
About This Blog And Its Authors
Grid Unlocked is powered by two eco-preneurs who analyze and reference articles, reports, and interviews that can help unlock the nascent, complex and expanding linkages between smart meters, smart grids, and above all: smart markets.

Based on decades of experience and interest in conservation, Monty Simus and Jamie Workman believe that a truly “smart” grid must be a “transactive” grid, unshackled from its current status as a so-called “natural monopoly.”

In short, an unlocked grid must adopt and harness the power of markets to incentivize individual users, linked to each other on a large scale, who change consumptive behavior in creative ways that drive efficiency and bring equity to use of the planet's finite and increasingly scarce resources.